Office of Biostatistics
The purpose of the Office of Biostatistics, which is part of Academic Research Support, is to provide statistical support to the clinical and research staff of Baylor Scott & White Health Central Division and its affiliates. The staff is composed of two PhD biostatisticians and two master’s level biostatisticians who consult with investigators on study design and provide analyses of study results.
Yolanda Munoz Maldonado, PhD
Wendi Cai, MS
Courtney Shaver, MS
- Formulate and clarify hypotheses, study objectives and specific aims
- Propose appropriate statistical designs for the study
- Determine appropriate outcomes, predictors and confounding variables
- Perform power analysis and sample size calculations
- Prepare the data analysis sections for grant applications
- Create randomization schemes for the study
- Assist in planning the data collection procedure
- Perform data analysis and interpret the results
- Provide data analysis reports for investigators
- Write and review statistical sections of manuscripts prior to publication
- Provide consultation on statistical design, sample size analysis for grant submissions
- Prepare preliminary, interim and final reports for grant supported research
- Provide statistical education related to statistical and study design concepts
Frequently Asked Questions
When should I contact the Office of Biostatistics?
We can be most beneficial if you contact us at the very beginning of your study when you are formulating your research question.
Where are we located?
We are in the Research Administration Building at 4236 Lowes Drive. Download a map .
How do I schedule an appointment with a staff member?
Please submit the biostatistics requisition form to Biostat@BSWHealth.org. Once we receive your requisition form, a biostatistics team member will contact you within two business days. Please note that we review and assign projects to team members every Tuesday and Friday.
What information should I bring to my initial appointment?
- Please be prepared to discuss your research goals and questions.
- If you have a draft of the protocol, please bring it with you.
- Bring any related publications that may help us understand the problem better.
- Be prepared to discuss the deadline for your project.
How long will it take my data to be analyzed?
Turn-around on data analysis is dependent on many factors. We generally complete work on a first come, first serve basis but timing also depends on other factors such as deadlines, cleanliness of the database, and promptness of your feedback.
Statement of Ethics
The Office of Biostatistics at Baylor Scott & White Health Central Division is committed to protecting the rights of individuals participating as subjects in research. In order to assist you with the project, we require information regarding IRB approval or exemption. In the cases where IRB approval is required, we must be added as Key Study Personnel to your IRB project before we can commence any work on your project.
It is the policy of the Office of Biostatistics that authorship on any manuscripts or presentations resulting from our work should be based on the level of involvement in the study. In determining whether our contributions were sufficient to warrant observations, we follow the guidelines proposed by the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors:
The ICMJE recommends that authorship be based on the following four criteria:
- Substantial contributions to the conception or design of the work; or the acquisition, analysis, or interpretation of data for the work
- Drafting the work or revising it critically for important intellectual content
- Final approval of the version to be published
- Agreement to be accountable for all aspects of the work in ensuring that questions related to the accuracy or integrity of any part of the work are appropriately investigated and resolved
Our biostatisticians regularly conduct lectures on topics related to biostatistics for the Research Development and Scholarship Series. Download the schedule for the upcoming lecture series